Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Exploring Roles in the Early Childhood Community

There are so many organizations involved in early childhood that it is hard to choose which one I would want to work for. However, I was able to narrow down the list to the top three organizations that I would like to work for.

On the state level, Partnerships for Children and Families is an advocacy group that follows legislation around early childhood issues. They also travel the state speaking to early childhood professionals about advocating for themselves. I think the work around policy research would be the most interesting to me. There is always something new happening, and many changes taking place. I believe that my Master's degree would meet educational qualifications for a job in this organization. However, experience is something that I would need to earn. I would probably begin working with someone else in the organization before doing any work independently. The research work would be best for me because I do not like public speaking.

I have two dream jobs. Those would be working for Children's Defense Fund and NAEYC. I may be able to get entry level jobs working in these organizations but I am sure jobs are rarely open up. In the Children's Defense Fun, I would love to work with some of their freedom schools program. In the NAEYC organization, I would take any job that did not involve public speaking. There is a Policy and Public Affairs department that I think I would like.

All three of these organizations work with legislation and policies around early childhood education. I would be interested in those areas of work. I may have adequate education for the jobs but would need to gain more experience in public speaking.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Mary Jo,

    It is good to know that the early childhood field offers several paths withinn the field that we can explore and find our own. I particularly shared your opinion about working with NAEYC and as you mentioned experience will get us where we want to be. I have two daughters who are 6 and 2, so for me staying local is my first choice for now.

    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mary Jo,

    I really liked how you emphasized policy research and legislation. As early childhood educators, we need to stay abreast of these issues and how they impact the field at nation, state, and local levels. It is sometimes so easy to get lost in other issues, therefore partnering with an organization like Partnerships for Children and Families would enable you to remain current on important research and legislation topics.

    Remember - always hold out hope for those dream jobs. You never know when exactly one may open up. :-)

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear MaryJo,

    Working in the early childhood education field, does not mean working directly in the classroom all the time, which I am slowly learning. I think the two organizations that you would love to work for sound awesome. I would love to work for an organization that does work with children overseas because those countries do not have the resources and materials that we have here in the United States. My hope one day is to travel the world helping children in third world countries get the care and education they deserve. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Jo, Partnerships for Children and Families sounds like a great organization. I admire your desire to be apart of an organization that does research and chooses to make changes to policies governing early childhood education. There are many roles to be filled concerning early childhhood, and each role is important to the field. I think that this would be a great career for someone who really wants the best for children and their families. Good luck to you if this is the path that you have chosen to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Jo,
    Thank you for sharing! You mentioned working in policy research, which is an area of ECE that I had not considered before. I agree with you in that there is so much changing all the time, it would be very beneficial to be involved with that. I admire the dream jobs that you have for yourself - good luck with your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NAEYC, is a good choice, I would also take any job with that organization. Especially, with the public speaking, everyone knows I love to talk and share ideas about something I love to do. :) So it would be pretty much second nature to me. Mary Jo, are you a reserved person?

    ReplyDelete
  7. NAEYC, has so much to offer, so many resources and it would be great to be employed by them. I really like the fact that you are working in an area of research, what kinds of research are you doing currently?

    ReplyDelete