Monday, April 21, 2014

Time Well Spent

As I look back on my journey through this program, I remember thinking and saying to my family that I did not think that I would finish. There was too much work, it was too hard, and I would never be able to keep up the pace. I began to take one assignment at a time, one week at a time, and then one class at a time. Before I knew it, I was nearing the end. There are some life changing concepts that I have adopted into my thinking that I never had before this program.

1.Poverty - before I started this program, I was apt to believe that poverty was just a culture. I now understand that poverty belongs to the whole community. We are all responsible for the poverty in our neighborhoods, and are called to help.

2. Diversity - I do not think anyone can graduate from Walden and not have a respect for diversity. I have learned so much about diversity and how we as educators can become culturally responsible in our classrooms. An eye opening concept around cultural diversity is that we cannot just teach it for the holidays or for a theme one week. Cultural diversity must be implemented into our daily lessons as well as our daily lives.

3. Advocacy - Previous to my education at Walden, I believed advocacy was something that large organizations performed in front of Congress or other bodies of legislation. I never thought about advocacy beginning with one person. I have learned from Louise Derman-Sparks that passion drives advocacy, and that we as early childhood professionals are responsible for taking a stand for children and be their voices.

Goal
I will join an advocacy group and formally begin to be a voice for children in their early childhood years.

I would truly like to thank Dr. Dartt and all of my colleagues from my classes for supporting me and being a sounding board for me to talk about my issues. Some of the classes we took,
asked us to look deep inside our ourselves and discuss our biases, issues, insecurities, and weaknesses. Those are not easy things to talk about. But with trust and compassion, I was able to talk about some uncomfortable issues in my life. I think it takes a special kind of Professor to teach online courses, and I have had some excellent ones here at Walden. Congratulations everyone!!
 
The future which we hold in trust for our own children will be shaped by our fairness to other people's children.
 
This poem can be seen many places and is read many times. However, I feel like the words are never taken seriously enough. If parents and educators truly followed these words, we would have happier children with high self-esteems.
Children Learn What They LiveBy Dorothy Law Nolte, Ph.D.

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.
Copyright © 1972 by Dorothy Law Nolte
 

 

6 comments:

  1. Jo! We did it! Congrats Friend. I am so happy to have shared much of the journey with you. I have great expectations for you and look forward to continuing our professional connection and more importantly, our friendship outside of the virtual walls of Walden. Proud of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Jo, I too identify with your feelings of doubt in the beginning of the program. I doubted myself as well. I am happy to say that we did it, and it has been a joy to have you as my classmate. I want to thank you for everything that you brought to the discussions. You were supportive, and gave me quality feedback. Thanks, and I wish you luck in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MaryJo,

    It feels so good totalk about the past and come to the realization that we are here now thanks to our effort and our family's effort as well. MaryJo cangratulations on your journey and please go tell everyone you are now a Master Girl ! I loved that poem, and I remmeber hearing it when I was in 4th grade at a performance. At that time I din't know what I was saying. But now, I feel committed to implement it.

    cONGRATULATiONS mARY jO !!!!!!!

    This is my personal email if you ever want to cantact me: elisa_janethcw@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been quite the journey and one that we will never forget. What we have learned throughout our time spent at walden is priceless and we will carry with us forever. it has been great having your in class and I have learned so much from you and your discussions. That poem you posted is great and I will remember it forever. Congratulations and good luck on completing your future goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MaryJo,

    I loved your reflection on diversity and how it should be a part of our daily lives. You are so correct! I grasped the insight that cultural diversity should be implemented within every aspect of the classroom to offer an authentic welcoming experience for each child.

    I really like your long-term goal too! It seems realistic and practical. It is definitely something I would like to professionally achieve too!

    Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on getting your Master's degree. It was definitely tough, but so well worth it!!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello MaryJo! Thank you for all of your responses and encouragement. I like each of your goals W e as professionals need to have the same minds because this is what we do being positive role models in every child and their families. Any parents should be able to communicate with us and get valuable information to help them to know where to get help. To help the communities to conquer and put a stop to poverty. I wish you the best and continue on promoting children with the best and healthy care. God Bless You and your family's.

    ReplyDelete