Friday, November 23, 2012

My Connections to Play

When I was a child pretend play prevailed as the most common type of play for my friends and I. Best of all was the time spent in pretend play with my baby dolls. I had dolls that pottied, or made crying sounds. My favorite which I still have to this day was a doll that I named Kathy. She didn't do anything special but was special to me. Every time I went somewhere she was with me. Whether it was a trip to the corner store or a vacation with the family, Kathy was part of the family. When I look back I remember waking up and getting dressed, then I dressed Kathy as though she was my child. Little did I know then that I was to become a life learner in caring for children. I found pictures of Mattel dolls from the 1970s and this one resembles Kathy the most.
 
My most memorable moments with my friends was spent playing with our Hoppity Horses. I got my for Christmas and woke up Christmas morning with chicken pox. My dad stayed home with me while the rest of my family went to my grandmother's house. I didn't feel bad, so I hopped all day. My friends and I would have races like they were our cars. I hopped in the yard, in the house and it became my new form of transportation. I found this commercial from the 70s and thought I'd share it.
 
 
 
I think in my childhood our play was very diversified. I spent many hours playing school with all my dolls but at the same time I also had wonderful memories of outside time climbing trees and making mud pies. As my only daughter grew, I was so disappointed that she did not like dolls. I bought her a doll every Christmas and tried to show her how to play but she didn't like it. By the time she was born in 1995, electronics had taken over as the most wanted toys. My children did however spend a lot of time outdoors.
There were many skills learned through play when I was younger. Many times my friends and I played in an open field and away from our homes. We had to make up the games, the rules and solve the arguments without the help of parents. No one thought of running home to tattle to parents. Playing belonged to us, the children and it was a world that parents did not belong in.
Unfortunately as society changes, many things change such as playing for children. There are safety reasons why children cannot play away from home but we as educators and parents have to find a way to improvise and give our children opportunities to explore the world of pretend play.
                              
                               

2 comments:

  1. This statement is so true "We had to make up the games, the rules and solve the arguments without the help of parents. No one thought of running home to tattle to parents. Playing belonged to us, the children and it was a world that parents did not belong in".
    I look at my four year son and I think that the way he plays now with such imagination, is not going to last long. I played with barbie dolls and I loved making up stories about my dolls and their lives. My friends and were very secretive and we really enjoyed one another. I am still friends with many of my childhood friends and I am not talking about Facebook friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly true. Everything is basically handed to the children now. Things are so much easier because the instructions are right in front of them. I never played with big dolls too much. I only played with them when I was braiding their hair. I mainly played with barbie dolls.

    ReplyDelete