Saturday, November 10, 2012

Relationship Reflection

I have many relationships that are supportive and positive, yet are very unique to each other.
Husband
I have been married for 27 years. Most people will think that is a great relationship and yes it is. However, no two people can be together that long without having challenges along the way. We are fortunate that the challenges have not been anything dreadful like infidelity, or illness. Over the many years there have been financial problems, changes in jobs, and different viewpoints on raising children. When we emerged out of the challenges, each one of us became stronger as an individual and our relationship as a couple even closer.
Children
My children now all grown up have been my most influential teachers throughout life. The unconditional love that I feel for them has made me strong, assertive and confident in ways that I have never been when I was younger. Many times in our work, we learn about ourselves through the children. I have without a doubt become the person I am because of my relationships with my children. Each one is so unique and has taught me so many things. Matthew on the left is working on his PhD at the Univ. of Tenn. in English. Our relationship has always been more formal. Growing up, he would love to talk to me about the many books he was reading and his love for literature. Phillip on the right we often called our spokesman for the family. He is quite outgoing and is an extremely happy person. Our relationship is one of teasing and joking. He has grown to be a very family oriented son. He will get his BA in Political Science in Dec. at a local University and is awaiting acceptance to Law School. Maggie in the middle is my youngest and only daughter. She is a Senior in high school and is a dancer. I see life completely different through her eyes. She loves people and finds something good in everyone. We spend a lot of time talking and going to the mall. My husband and I enjoy attending her dance competitions and joke about how much attention we can give her because she is the last child at home.  The best way to describe our relationship is that she completes my life.

Relationships have many positive benefits for our development as a stable person. Sometimes relationships evolve over a period of time. Having a good relationship does not mean that the person always agrees with you or you agree with them. I think the most profound impact of a relationship is dealing with the challenges, learning from those challenges and then becoming a better person as a result of that relationship. My sister emailed me this quote the other day and I do not know who said it or where it originated.

"God doesn't give you the people you want, he gives you the people you need. To help you, to hurt you, to leave you, to love you and to make you into the person you were meant to be!!"

The positive supportive relationships are easy and fun but it is in the challenging relationships that we discover the meaning of who we are. I think the same is true in early childhood. Many of us have had children in our care that had difficult temperaments or maybe it was the parents that were difficult to work with. Either way, as professionals, we must rise above the situation, learn more about the child or adult and work to create some form of a relationship. It may not be the same kind of relationship that you have with another child or parent but the important point is that there are benefits to the relationship. We make new discoveries about ourselves and others when we work at a relationship. Over a period of time, we grow as a person and are better able to handle different temperaments.

8 comments:

  1. Mary Jo,
    Congrats on being married for 27 years. I would have said, awesome that you both have been able to work through ups and downs in order to be married for 27 years. Everything we all do in life is a challenge like marriages, children, work, or even our goals we want in life.
    I am also one that have learned so much from my two failed marriages and from my three great kids. But no matter what I have gone through it has made me stronger and wisor today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Jo,
    It is true that love, especially love that withstands the challenges of time and circumstance, is a true testament of what it means to possess a strong, effective relationship. I hope that only truth, good intention, and love continue to follow you and your family for duration of your life's journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary Jo,
    It is a blessing to be married for so long. My husband and I have been married for 6 years. Hopefully one day we will get to where you and your husband are now. Relationships have ups and downs, but as long as you have a husband there for you like you have you have no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Jo, congradulations on being married for 27 years and on accomplishing positive relationships with your family. I know it is hard and when you are young, you have hard lessons, however, we come out successful by having faith that all will end well. I enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your post! I agree with you about the relationship that we all have with one another, with family, friends, co-workers, and people in our community. We learn to value each person as a unique human being, and we learn about our ownself as we treat others. I think you have a beautiful family, and your grown up children a beautiful blessing. It seems that you have a unique and special relationship with each one of them. You have a beautiful family! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Mary Jo,
    Your blog is great! It is so true what you said about challenging relationships. They helps us work with all types of temperaments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post, relationships can be difficult at times; however, when people are able to push through and to come out with a smile, it makes it all worth it. We find strength in relationships because it challenges us jump obstacles togethers and once you can defeat the hard times, the relationship is being built on rocks; which will cause it to be even more harder to break down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mary Jo!

    I loved reading your blog and seeing how similar your family is to mine. Each one of my brothers and sister have a different relationship with my mom and it is truly our own. My mom and I work go to the gym everyday and we love to shop together. I am not married yet, but cannot wait to one day take that step. I believe being in my 30's and having a family is the best option for me, because if I had done that any earlier, I really don't know how my married life in my twenties would have turned out. Thank you for the insight!

    Vernanna

    ReplyDelete