Saturday, February 16, 2013

Sharing Web Resources Week 6

On the Children's Defense Fund website this week I followed a link to an article on the Washington Post website about child poverty. The article talked about how little attention child poverty received on the presidential campaign trail. President Obama says there needs to be a "national conversation" about poverty. The author of the article, Jonathan Capehart, said it is time to move from talk to action.

One of the areas of the website is "Be careful what you cut". I decided to explore this campaign further and found sample letters for advocates to send to their representatives as well as pictures showing the results of cutting early childhood programs and what the later consequences will be. The website encourages you to download these pictures to your social media sites or in this case I downloaded to my blog.
                                                                          


One of the most disturbing links for me personally was a link that showed the amount of gun deaths of children by state. I found that Louisiana has the second highest rate of gun deaths with Alaska being the highest. I had no idea until I read this that gun deaths were that bad in my state. Children's Defense Fund is very passionate about gun control and is calling for help for all who advocate for children.

Marian Wright Elder, president of the Children's Defense Fund wrote about a civil rights leader, Medgar Evers in her column. She wrote about the impact that his kindness had on her when she was a young law student. She said he would be thrilled to see an African American president and that Mississippi leads the nation in black elected officials. She also adds that he would be very disappointed to see that black children are still getting separate, unequal, and a failing education in Mississippi and that this state has the highest child poverty.

2 comments:

  1. Mary Jo,

    Thank you for sharing these insights from the Children's Defense Fund. I was shocked to read about the amount of gun-related deaths for children. Even more so, Alaska is one of the higher states! Your post shed light on this area and has encourage me to look at my own advocacy efforts in regards to gun control. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this information. I was unaware that Alaska has one of the highest rate for gun deaths. I understand having some type of gun controll but I don't believe that we should be told if we can have guns in our own home or not. I feel safer having a gun in my home for protection. If I had been taught how to use a gun and not been afraid of one, I would have been able to protect myself years ago when a man broke into my apartment to rape me but the police believes that I was not harmed do to the fact the man noticed I was pregnant. Two days later this man did break into another apartment in my building and that woman was not so lucky. Its not the guns that kill people it is people pulling the trigger. I believe in some type of gun controll but I don't believe that anyone should tell us how to protect ourselves.

    ReplyDelete