Saturday, March 16, 2013

Personal Research Journey

For my research topic I chose psychological abuse. This term can come under many other titles such as emotional abuse or verbal abuse. Any term chosen has the same end result in the harm done on children. Parents and families have the most influence on children when they are young. They look at themselves and develop pride and self-esteem based on how their family views them. When children are humiliated, criticized, and spoken harshly to on a regular basis, they will begin to feel as though there is something wrong with them. Over the years these constant feelings of inadequacy lead to a low self-esteem and emotional issues.

I was the last of four girls in my family and was born much later than the rest of my siblings. My parents often criticized me for being different, humiliated me for things that I was not good at, and allowed my siblings to do the same. I am in no way asking for pity. I am a grown woman and have taken charge of my own life. I think the reason there is not much information on this topic is because it can be hidden, as in my case, behind a nice house, middle income, and material possessions. I would like to dig deeper and expose the harm this kind of abuse can do to a child.

This research class as a whole is hard for me to wrap my head around. In previous courses, I could talk about early childhood and be able to grasp new concepts based on my background knowledge. However, I am afraid that I can be of no help to anyone in this class. This is my first research class and I have no previous experience in research.

Does anyone have any suggestions in beginning research or any hints on how to make it less overwhelming? I am ready to listen to advice.

4 comments:

  1. Mary Jo,

    This is a very interesting topic and I look forward to learning more about it. I also believe this is a topic that gets pushed under the rug way too often.

    I cannot offer any advice but I can be SUPPORT because this is my first research class as well! I know we can get through this together. I look forward to working with you and other colleagues in the next 7 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent choice Mary Jo. There is so much abuse going on in the homes and often educators or teachers don't know that these things are going on in the homes. This can cause students to act out in the classroom or just decide to do nothing. There are also students that are resilient and this may push them to be more successful. I applaud your efforts and look forward to read more information about the research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abuse in any form is detrimental to a child’s development. I have heard that a tongue has no bones but it can break a heart. This is so true and needs to be addressed. Thank you for taking on this difficult but necessary topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Jo,
    Unfortunately, the signs of physchological abuse are often hard to see unless someone is trained to recognize them. I look forward to hearing about your study of this subject.

    I feel the same way as you do about this class on research. Until now I have been very comfortable with the classes and our work. This class is pushing me outside of my comfort zone because it is very new to me also. However, I realize that is how I will learn... by stretching myself to try new things and look at things differently than what I am used to.
    I may not be much help, but I will offer you support. This is a learning experience and I know I am embracing it as that!

    ReplyDelete