Saturday, March 23, 2013

Positive research

Whenever I think of positive research, I cannot help but think of St. Jude's Hospital for children. I have donated to this hospital and even did a fundraiser for years at my child care center. Everyone at the hospital is so appreciative of any amount of money we were able to raise at my small center.

Unfortunately I have known quite a few children who have gone to this hospital for various kinds of cancer. I went to www.stjude.org to look up more details. They do many studies and scientific studies comparing genes of healthy children and those children with cancer. Currently they are working on the Pediatric Cancer Genome Project. The scientists are discovering gene mutations linked to childhood cancers.

Over the years, the results of this research has helped treat children and save lives. Children are treated regardless of the income of the family. In this particular situation there are not many options for parents when they find out they have a child with cancer. Most parents I know have been happy to be part of clinical trials if it may help their child as well as others. The only other option in the case with cancer is death. As stated on the website, "Using clinical trials and medical research, tremendous advances have been made in the treatment of childhood cancer." (St. Jude, 2013)

St. Jude has a bench-to-bedside approach to treatment so that children can benefit from the latest research. "St. Jude’s major treatment programs are so successful because the physicians and basic scientists in our laboratories work closely together and rapidly introduce promising therapies to the clinical setting."(St. Jude, 2013)

I cannot think of any more positive research than St. Jude Hospital and the tremendous work they do in saving children's lives.

3 comments:

  1. I love St. Jude's Hospital and their research to help children is amazing. I also did fundraisers with them when I had my child care center also and parents loved to participate in and we would raise between $100-$300, not much but every penny counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The child care center I use to work at would also do a Trike-A-Thon each year in the Spring to raise money for St. Jude. The children with peddle around the track and count the laps. I always thought it was a great way to get children involved. This is truly a wonderful organization!

    ReplyDelete
  3. St Jude has contributed so much to the research and treatment of cancer. In this case, research and treatment go together as many children and society benefits from the advances that are being made. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete