Friday, August 23, 2013

Professional Hopes and Goals

In working with children and families from diverse cultures, I hope:

1. I can create a physical environment where all feel accepted and comfortable.
2. I develop a relationship with children that is respectful, compassionate, and trusting.
3. I can empower parents to play an active role in their children's development and education.
4. I can be a role model for other educators making them aware of the importance of anti-bias          education
5. I can be a voice that "stands up" for diversity not only in my classroom, but in the school or broader community.

A goal for the early childhood field related to diversity, equity, and social justice.

The early childhood field will become the voice of diversity, equity and social justice by developing a generation of children that are wiped clean of stereotypes and prejudices, that show respect and acceptance of human dignity, and take action in the fight against social injustice.

This goal is very ambitious, but if we as educators begin with small steps and fix ourselves first and then begin the work in our classrooms, we may be the beginning of something bigger.

Thank You!!!

I would like to thank everyone for their support and responses to my blogs and discussions. Many of us spoke about emotional issues that affected us from childhood. There are some things I discussed with the class that I have never told any one else. I think we all learned how harmful and hurtful stereotypes and prejudices can be. Also it was evident that the hurt was still present in our hearts.

Thank you for your respect and acceptance of all my social identities. I will remember all of you in my future work and all your ideas and experiences. I hope the best for all of you.

Mary Jo

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mary Jo
    It has been a pleasure to read your blogs over the past few weeks. I feel that I have learned a great bit about your personality, hopes, and goals. I learned that you are an activist. After reading about all of your experiences I see that you have been speaking up for others for a long time. Because you have heart behind your actions if you continue on your path others will hear your voice. I would like to wish you success in your future endeavors. I think that your plans and preparations will help you to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,
    I enjoyed reading your post. Getting and giving respect in the early childhood field is important, especially went working with a variety groups of young children. Professionals should have a set of rules in order before starting the first day of class. Good luck in your future studies!!!

    Ida

    ReplyDelete