Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Personal Side of Bias - Week 6

I work for a Child Care Quality Rating System. I was visiting a center about five years ago when we were just getting the program off the ground. The center was a church owned center. The Director wanted me to meet the Pastor of the church. He came in and not long after, the Director was called out to speak to a parent. The Pastor bent down close to my face and asked me how many black centers have received star ratings. This is the reverse of what one would expect. This was a black man assuming because I was white, that I would not allow this center to succeed in the quality rating system.

The Pastor was obviously acting out of internalized oppressions. In the past, he must have been treated unfairly by white people and stereotyped me as someone that would treat him unfairly. I felt anger and hurt all at the same time. How dare this man assume that I would perform my job incompetently and not allow this center to succeed based on the race of the children. I was angry because he accused me of an act that I would never think of doing.

When this incident occurred, equity was diminished because the Pastor was not concerned about raising quality or what the center needed in order to meet star requirements. In fact, the exchange was not about quality or the program at all. It was about racism. I should have been talking about the components of the program but instead found myself defending my actions as a white person.

I honestly told him that I did not know how many black centers have received stars because I do not categorize my centers by race. Centers are categorized by star levels based on the requirements met.

In order for me to help this center and treat this center with equity, the Pastor would need to unravel his oppressive thoughts and learn to trust that I was a consultant there to truly help them achieve quality the same way I helped every other center I worked with. I am happy to say that this center became a four star center in about two years due to hard work and determination. The same traits that other centers used to meet their star levels.

Now the Pastor is very grateful and a trust has been established. Every time I visit the center, he comes out of his office to speak to me. Neither one of us has ever talked about that first meeting but I can feel his apology and hopefully I helped him to unravel some deep seeded oppression associated with white people.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary Jo,
    You did a great job with helping the centers to achieve their star ratings. It is very unfortunate of what internalized oppression can do to some people. I know some people don’t even realize how they have been negatively affected by their experiences. Their responses and reactions are almost like second nature. I know people who have a hard time seeing past their experiences with prejudice, injustice, discrimination, etc. They have so much distrust because of their experiences that they can’t see beyond it. They categorize an entire race with the actions and behaviors of a few. I have seen where some give into the oppression and would even give discouraging remarks to stop others in their race from even trying because they believe it is impossible. For that pastor your responses could have help to enlighten him and to change his view of white people. I think you are great for responding the way that you do when you encounter different situations. Continue to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathleen and MaryJo for your comments and concern. I am happy to say that she is home and doing much better. I also left a comment at the hospital that their nurses need to remember that they chose a profession that, even though it's not easy, is very fulfilling and it means that they must be compassionate and understanding about the people they serve. This like the profession we work in has no place for negative attitudes. It not so much what you say but how you say it. Again I thank you.

    ReplyDelete