Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Quality Programs for all Children

I really do not think that public opinion of early childhood care and education in the next five years will change if there is no change in parent education. Over the past decades, we have seen an increase in children attending early childhood programs. For most of these working parents, they see these programs as babysitters with an added perk of learning outcomes. I am not trying to be skeptical but I am basing my opinion on what I have seen in the past 5 years. There are numerous research articles about the benefits of quality early childhood programs, but early childhood professionals read them. There is information about brain development and the science behind it from the Center on the Developing Child. Usually early childhood professionals receive the online newsletters.

My point is that I have worked for the QRS program in Louisiana since the inception. We have worked with private child care centers educating them on the benefits of quality early childhood. They have worked to improve their interactions with children, increased the professional development of staff, and learned the benefits of relationships in the brain development of infants. They have worked to implement requirements for a high star rating in QRS. For the most part, we have turned the child care providers into believers. They see the positive results. However it is so disheartening to hear about a 4 star center having to close down because they do not have enough children enrolled. Worse than that for me is to see a 1 star center or no star rating center have a waiting list and other higher star centers that can barely pay their bills.

The bottom line is that parents have not understood the research, nor have they bought in to the concept of quality. In their eyes, they still just need a place for their child to go during the day. I had a preschool for children ages 3 -5 for 15 years. In 2001, my parish piloted the LA4 Prek program in public schools. By 2004, I had closed my doors. I actually had parents tell me that their children will never get at these school programs what they received from me but it was free and it did not really matter because it was just "daycare". These were parents who had their second and third child with me.

We as early childhood professionals can continue to advocate as I always do, but until we get parents to understand the benefits to quality care and education, we may not have much influence on policy makers. After all, these children belong to these families. If politicians are not hearing them advocate, they probably think that families do not find this situation important. Unfortunately I think that is true. I would like to advocate for more parent education so that they can understand the long-term outcomes for children who were cared for in quality systems.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo! I want to switch lives for a week. I would love to see parents in Louisiana in early childhood settings and give you my classroom here in Minnesota for a week. The program I work in is 35 years old and it is a universal access parent education program. We have an economic diverse program that spans parents skill set as well. I wonder if Walden would allow us a "Teacher Swap" of sorts. It is getting cold here, I will warn you about that before you decide.

    Do you see a market for parent education in LA? When I see all the blogs, all of the websites, the extensive section of parenting books at Barnes and Noble, among other signs, I get very hopeful about a national truth emerging. Every parent, regardless of income, culture, or educational level is interested in parenting well and seeking the supports to do so. I see that all over the place in MN, wondering if you see the same in LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy,
      I wanted to reply to your response. There have been groups to try parenting education classes such as the school system. They had them for a while then stopped due to lack of interest. The Child Care Resource & Referral Agency in my area will go to child care centers at night and give parenting workshops for free but parents will not attend. The mindset here is that anyone can be a parent. If you do not abuse your child then you are a good parent. Even my sisters who have been teachers/principal for 30 plus years sort of roll their eyes and smile patronizingly at me when I talk about early childhood. As a whole Louisiana does not buy into it. By the way, when you called me Jo the first time it made me smile. My family always calls me Jo. At my child care center I was "Miss Jo". To my nieces and nephews I am Aunt Jo. It is only since I starting working for the state that I am now Mary Jo.

      Delete