Saturday, November 2, 2013

Week 1 Public Policy and Advocacy

Why did you choose this specialization?

I have been working for state government for the past six years in the Child Care Quality Rating System. I ran my own child care center for many years and never knew all what was involved in policy making in government. After working in this government capacity, I want to know more about public policy and advocacy involving children and families. My work has sparked my interest and I now I am interested in gaining more knowledge so that I can move forward in the early childhood field. Children are helpless in speaking for themselves nor does our society value their opinions. I want to be a voice for children in my community.

Why are advocates essential in the early childhood field?

As I stated above, children do not have a voice so they need others to be a voice for them. Many other groups advocate on behalf of themselves. Children do not have the power to do that. Our society does not value children and their knowledge of issues affecting their lives. Others like early childhood professionals have to step in and take a stand for children. They have the knowledge and the passion for the future of children and are called to advocate on their behalf. Our society as a whole does not understand the importance of early childhood and the impact that quality early childhood programs have on the future of a community. There is more work being done to promote children rights, but more needs to be done and continued.

What do you hope to learn about public policy and advocacy?

I know at this point I am unsure about everything involved in public policy and advocacy, but I have very general goals that I am sure I will refine as I gain more information.

1. To learn how funding streams affect our early childhood programs.
2. To learn how advocacy affects early childhood policies.
3. To understand policy making in the early childhood field.

3 comments:

  1. Mary Jo,
    Much like you it is the vulnerability of children that made me choose to become an advocate. I am very unfamiliar with policy making as well and completely share your feelings of uncertainty. I have had such a great and supportive journey here at Walden so I am sure that we will all pull together and support each other as we embark on new territory. Thank you for sharing!!!
    Annie P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, (I hope I can call you Jo! It will help me keep you and Mary separate in my head) I appreciate your general goals at this point and wonder why I didn't start out with more general ones too! Sounds like you are open to just about anything at this point! It would be great if you would add a picture to your Walden profile. Pictures help me feel like I am working with real people. Just a suggestion! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your post. I share your goal of better understanding how advocacy shapes policy making and about funding. I am excited to start this new chapter in the journey of public policy and advocacy. I look forward to reading more of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete