Monday, December 16, 2013

Early Childhood Systems - Week 8

          There was not as much discussion in this course as I have had in others, but the discussions that took place helped in my learning about early childhood systems. I was glad to have a colleague in Head Start and learned more about the challenges they are facing through funding cuts. Katy being from Minnesota definitely brought new insights to the class through her own professional work and through Minnesota's efforts in helping families and children.

Three consequences of collaborative learning

1. Listening to different perspectives - All colleagues have a different perspective on issues. Even those of us from Louisiana worked in different sectors of early childhood so our challenges and issues were different.

2. You are not alone - It doesn't seem to matter what sector of early childhood you are working in, some of the challenges are the same. This does not make the situation better but it did help me to see the bigger picture of early childhood education.

3. Suggestions and/or ideas - Throughout all my courses as well as this one, hearing ideas or suggestions from others in a related job, brought a fresh approach to my work. One colleague from another course worked for QRS in another state. She and I shared many ideas. Learning through Katy's experiences was quite informative and gave me insight to how Minnesota has chosen to make early childhood a priority.

Goal

I will use the knowledge and insights gained in this class to advocate for an increased demand in quality services for children and families.

Thanks to all of you who were there for me every week. I hope the New Year brings you all the things in life that are important and special to you. May we all keep our chins up and forge ahead in our work for children and families.

2 comments:

  1. Jo! So happy to have shared this journey with you. Your encouragement and genuine interest in my work means a lot to me. Still looking for a picture from you, it seems so weird to feel kinship with you and Mary without knowing what you look like! You have so much to offer in your region of the country. I hope you feel powerful.

    I would love the opportunity to share a cup of coffee with you one day. Knowing that you are out there fighting the good fight is a source of energy for me. Happy Holidays! Cheers to all of us in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Jo,

    I enjoyed reading your blog post. You choice three interesting consequences of collaborative learning. I found the information to be quite useful. I wish you a holiday season and much success in the future.

    ReplyDelete