Saturday, February 22, 2014

Profile of a Volunteer

There is a lady, I'll call Mrs. Doe,  at my church who volunteers her time to teaching catechism, reading at mass, and coordinating an entire bereavement committee. My church parish has many elderly families, and Mrs. Doe decided that something needed to be done for families upon the death of a loved one. Although family and friends usually prepare food for funerals, Mrs. Doe felt that this was one less thing that a family needed to worry about. She organized a committee consisting of groups of ladies that prepare food for families in our church parish for the day of the funeral. I am in one of the groups where I am in charge of a vegetable. Other ladies in my group are in charge of desserts, salads, etc. The church stepped in and now donates a ham to each family.

Mrs. Doe's work has directly impacted families in our church parish at difficult times in their lives. Although organizing this committee was not mandatory, she saw a need in families lives and acted on what she observed. She also called on others to give of themselves which is a rewarding experience.

What touches me most about Mrs. Doe's work is that she herself is an elderly person. Her work proved to me that you are never to old to start something new. She had a vision, and she went to our pastor and presented the idea to him. Not only did she advocate for an issue, but she also took it upon herself to coordinate the committee and do the work. I admire her for stepping up and not feeling as though her ideas were not valid. Her work has taught me that if I have an idea, I need to act on it.

So many times over the years, I have thought about a parenting education class within my church parish. Parents may be reluctant to attend a public class, but may feel more comfortable within their church community. As I type this profile of Mrs. Doe, I am beginning to think I may need to follow her lead, and talk to my pastor about this type of class.

2 comments:

  1. This post made my heart sing! If you need parent ed. curriculum, you know where to turn....look to the NORTH! Keep the class focused on strengths and start with a topic that everyone is interested in (like media, growth and development, raising readers, raising responsible children, for examples) and you will have a winning idea on your hands! Supporting parents is such a wonderful way to use your passion to create a new community in your church. Go JO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey MaryJo,
    Reading your post made me think about others that I help every day who are thankful but here I am every single day thinking to myself how I am not doing enough. Being in our profession and seeing problems every day and advocating for so much sometimes we forget to rejoice in the small victories. Reading this week's blogs reminded me of that. Thank you for sharing!!!
    Annie P.

    ReplyDelete