Thursday, February 6, 2014

Advocacy Messages

My job involves a lot of driving and so the radio is how I learn about the happenings in the world. At least twice a day I hear the ad for adoption. "You don't have to be perfect to be a perfect parent". The ad goes on to say that there are many children who would love you and your faults. I think this ad is effective because it eliminates the fear that people have of adopting. Many adults may not feel worthy of adopting a child.  The ad is trying to promote adoption of young teens making the point that they need a parent, not a parent that is perfect. I also think the phrase is catchy because the ad is short but is played repeatedly throughout the day. People listening to radios in their cars or at work will hear the message a few times a day, everyday.

Another ad that I have found to be effective is a radio ad on stroke awareness. Two people are together and one of the people keeps saying "I'm having a stroke". However that person is not really saying anything. The other person makes observations such as you are not moving your arm, and your face looks weird. After every observation, you hear the phrase repeated "I'm having a stroke". I think the use of repetition is very effective while at the same time giving the listener examples of how people act when they are having a stroke. Because the ad is short and simple, the listener can remember the basic signs of a stroke.

Ads are very effective if the information is short, to the point, and includes a catchy phrase that people will remember and repeat throughout the day.

1 comment:

  1. Mary Jo,
    Great examples of advocacy message. I agree with you that the short, simple and to the point ads allow you to remember the important message of the ad.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete