Thursday, January 30, 2014

My Own Capacity

          I am passionate about getting parents to make more informed choices in regards to their children's early care and education. Many times parents are not aware of the benefits of high-quality care, and other times they are aware, but do not have the funding to send their children to high-quality programs. Research has proven the benefits of high-quality care and education especially for the most vulnerable low-income children. If the government truly wants to increase school readiness of these children, they need to provide more funding to parents so their children can receive better care and education in a center that is licensed and quality rated.

          I am in a good and a bad position in terms of resources. I work for the government so I am involved in the conversations. However, my position in not very high up so I have to be careful in what I say. Because I work with programs in 15 parishes, I am asked for feedback or how I think something should work. I am able to be heard on weekly conference calls, I am also able to keep up with the government's thinking. I am in close contact with the director of an advocacy group that is keeping up with the many changes in early childhood in Louisiana. The director has spoken to me and asked if she could call me for feedback on their ideas. I have the experience of owning a licensed child care center for 18 years. I have experience, knowledge, and now the position to be heard.

          I need to grow in many areas, but mostly I think I need to grow in confidence. Although I have knowledge, and experience, I hold myself back thinking that I do not know enough. There are times when listening to others' perspectives is effective in advocacy, but there are also times when I know I should speak up and I do not. The director of the advocacy group I just made contact with seems to be the kind of person that will pull me out of that place.

2 comments:

  1. MaryJo,
    As you continue to advocate and your knowledge base continues to grow, I believe your confidence level will follow. Parents are a powerful where advocacy is concerned so educating them on the benefits of early childhood and care is a step in the right direction. Educating them will benefit their children, the profession (using them to continue to advocate for High quality programming), and themselves. They will feel more confident and will undoubtedly get more involved in their children's educational lives.
    Annie P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out on a limb here but for whatever it is worth to you, I have a playlist! On my ipod, I have a playlist of songs that fire me up. Preparing for a meeting with a legislator or a policy group or even preparing for a big speech calls for some "locker room" time. Like an athlete, I psych myself up with music. Stuff that stirs my soul and pumps me up. What would be on your playlist if you needed a boost of confidence? "Brave" by Sarah Bareilles is a great example of a song that I would turn to. Go Jo!!

    ReplyDelete