Friday, January 24, 2014

My Role as an Advocate

I have spent my entire adult career life in early childhood. However, those were not all years of pride. When I opened my child care center, my parents did not speak to me because I was a college graduate and I was going to "babysit". Most of the parents looked at you as their nanny and you worked for them. Thank goodness over the years, the image of early childhood providers has gotten better but it was not until I started this Master's program with Walden that I felt supported in my passion for early childhood education.

Each element of early childhood (which I am considering micro) is connected to something bigger (macro). Each service or program somehow interacts or overlaps to another program. Getting to know the bigger picture of early childhood systems allows you to figure out what is best for each smaller segment.

To be a leader at the community level you must first have passion and perseverance in the work you are beginning. You must develop relationships and be able to communicate effectively. You must able to address the needs of your community, and include the work of other agencies to meet those needs.

Whenever I think of resources in early childhood I always think of money. In order to educate, inform, or improve the field, we need money. In Louisiana we have tax credits for businesses who donate to early learning programs. However I do not feel that the state has publicized this enough. I do not know of any program in my local area that has received any donations.

Electronic newsletters are a great way to get information to a large group of people. Also meeting face to face is very productive. Many times others in the field need to know their value. So many providers are tired and feel defeated. Motivational speakers that speak to their worth and the worth of their work will get providers joining the movement.

Taking on a leadership role in early childhood advocacy is a large task. You must stay focused on what is happening on the state level while not losing focus of what local communities need. Somehow you must keep the connection between the two to make advocacy work. You can keep that connection by including as many stakeholders as possible. There are many people whose work touches the lives of children and families. Make sure that all perspectives are included.

3 comments:

  1. Mary Jo,

    Great point concerning macro and micro levels that "each service or programs interacts or overlaps to another program." It's important to recognize and understand all aspects of advocacy for children and families rather big or small.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jo, thanks for your post. I hope your parents have since told you that they are proud of your career in Early Education! You (and all of us) have come a long way indeed, with so much more to go. Six months ago, I would have never guessed this to be true but now, I am a huge fan and believer. Are you on Twitter? It is a great source of information (I think it will replace the newsletter) about research and trends in early childhood. It all depends of who you follow. I follow many of the organizations we have studied during our time at Walden. I love having current data at my fingertips to shoot out to the legislators in my state. Just a thought. Let me know if you hop on, you can find me at KatyMN12

    ReplyDelete
  3. MaryJo,
    Thank you for sharing!!! Some people tend to renounce things they don't understand and/or believe to be prestigious and it takes individuals like you to show them that early childhood is an extremely prestigious profession. I hope your parents have come to appreciate the ways in which you contribute to your community by serving children and their families. Thank you for your work and dedication!!!
    Annie P.

    ReplyDelete