Saturday, July 14, 2012

Personal Childhood Web

Eileen - this friend of mine lived two houses over from me. She was 3 yrs. older than me but always took time to talk to me and most importantly, listen to me.  I had extremely long hair when I was about 8 yrs. old. Eileen would sit and brush my hair for me and would get all the tangles out. Actually her whole family was very special to me. The mom always asked me to have lunch or dinner with them. I felt so special when I was with them.

Mrs. Donna - this is the mom of my good friend Lisa.  I loved going to Lisa's house because Mrs. Donna would pick us up at school. What made this so different was that I was often the last child to be picked up at school. Mrs. Donna was always waiting in her car when the bell rang. I remember that being such a good feeling for me to walk out of school and see Lisa's mom waiting for us. When I had children, I was always waiting for them when the school bell rang. I wanted them to know that good feeling of security and let them know that I couldn't wait to see them.

Johnny & Marie - this couple goes together because that is the memory that stands out the most about them. They lived next door to me growing up and they could not have any children. As a result they did most things together. My sister closest to my age and myself became like the children they couldn't have. My fondest memory was them taking us to a local drive - in where you ordered your food and ate in the car.  Marie would get a hot dog and always spilled the chili all over the car. We laughed every time as so it was the first time it ever happened. Johnny became a Deacon in the church and baptized 2 of my 3 children. They are both deceased now and my heart still aches when I think of them.

My Daddy - my daddy was a marine from World War II. My parents had me when they were 40yrs. old. My parents were not very warm people and did not offer much praise but there is something that I gained from my daddy and that is work ethic. He is deceased now but I think because we were all girls, he wanted to make sure that we could take care of ourselves if we needed to.  He loved to do yard work and was able to do it until the day he died.  He was an excellent example of a hard worker.



4 comments:

  1. Mary Jo,
    I really enjoyed reading your personal childhood web. I found it really warming that Mrs. Donna and Johnny and Marie treated you with such love and support. It's great to see that even though they are not considered your "family" that you could take their kindness and love for you and apply it to your own kids now. It definitely shows the power of caregivers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Jo,
    It is heart warming that you have had so many important people in your life. I am sorry for the loss f some of them. I love how you have followed in Mrs. Donna's footprints in showing your children th security that you learned fromher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Jo,
    It is amazing how childhood experiences such as being the last to be picked up from school affect what we deem important in our children lives. Society needs more people like Mrs. Donna; a special person who was filled with lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Jo,
    I couldn't help but noticed the first individual you mentioned was a childhood friend. Children learn from each other and social interactions,more so than direct instruction from us as educators and adults.

    ReplyDelete