Friday, September 28, 2012

Stressors

Chaos

          I know that I am fortunate enough to not know anyone with any of the serious stressors in their lives. People in other countries have many more challenges than many of us will ever face in our lives. Although it may not be the worse thing people live through, I felt like the household my husband grew up in and the lasting results affected not only him in adulthood but all of us. His father was an alcoholic but was a very gentle kind man who never raised his voice and always appeared defeated looking to me. His mother would have been diagnosed as bi-polar by today's standards. After many years of my husband having the same traits, he finally got help as I continued to read books about narcissistic personality disorder and living with the self absorbed. I always knew that my husband had his mother's genes so I took full responsibility for my children and left him out of things like discipline. I did everything with my children. We sort of lived our own life while he was their Dad that just lived in our house. They didn't know any different.  After he came to his realization about how he was raised and what he was doing to his wife and children, he began to open up to me. He told me stories about his mother throwing knives across the room at his dad when he came home drunk. My husband lived in 11 houses before we got married. He recalled coming home from school and boxes were packed to move or coming home and various pieces of furniture or appliances were gone because she sold them to buy something she wanted. There was constant fighting that could have been avoided if she didn't feel the need to control every person's life. When my husband and I were dating, I got so tired of having her curse me and fuss at me that I just stopped talking. Then I was labeled as snobby. There was no winning. Sometimes the mind uses defense mechanisms to help you cope. That is what my husband must have done growing up but then when he wanted to replay the same scenarios in my home, I said we need help. I know many people live through worse but when I think of the definition of chaos, I think of my husband's household

 Haiti
    
         I know this is sort of a repeat of a previous blog but I am very passionate about children going hungry. The everyday things we take for granted would be luxuries for them. Many live in tent cities, no clean water, or no food. As a result of these conditions, there are various diseases that plagued the country. I've stated before that I cannot imagine being a mother that has to watch her children go hungry or watch them die before her eyes and there is nothing you can do. There are many organizations such as UNICEF and Food for the Poor that help to make the living conditions better by building homes, providing food, giving immunizations, and purifying the water. There is so many people that are not being helped. This country seems to be a magnet for natural disasters. As soon as organizations make some progress, it is set back by a disaster. Giving just a little money goes a long way for the people of Haiti.

5 comments:

  1. Mary Jo,
    Your husband is very fortunate to have a wife who was able to support him, by stating "We need help". Half the battle is admitting there is a problem.
    I have had friends who lived in very chaotic households and I can remember wanting to get out of there fast or just stand on the porch and wait for their return.
    When I read how your husband had moved 11 times it reminded me that I had moved my children 12 times and while they didn't come home to packed boxes and were surprised, my son has expressed to me and my husband that our last move caused him great stress. (I talk about that on my blog)
    I am still not one hundred percent on that page, but obviously there was some stress for him. It was a good move, one I never regretted and we are still in that house.
    Good for you for taking the reins and doing what you had to do to save your family!
    By the way, I have a monster-in-law as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need to say that is sad to let children go to stressful situations, but I need to say that your comment about monster-in-law was funny. I am blessed that I have a good in-law, but my husband my think differently. :-)

      Delete
  2. Mary Jo, this is a great story. I need to admit it made me cry about your husband's family situation and all he went through in his life. (I am a very emotional person, I cry for everything) God put you in his way to help him brake this unhealthy cycle. You were wise in recognizing that your husband and your family needed help and not to replay the same things your husband went through with his family. Living in chaotic family environment shape children negatively, and therapy is needed to prevent for this unhealthy environment happen again (passing from generation to generation). Thank you Mary Jo for sharing your story. Sorry you did not have a great mother-in-law. I’ve been blessed with mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mary Jo, Rhonna and Mimi are right, your husband is blessed to have you in his life! Anyway, he acknowledge the pattern, which is the first and most important step, and with your support I am sure everything is going to work out.
    I can relate to so many things on your post. I grew up in some sort of a chaos house-hold, it was such an unhappy environment. My relatives were busy or fighting and I got beaten so many times, for everything and for nothing.
    Monster-in-law? My God! Tell me about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Jo,it is great that you recognized that there was a problem and did what you needed to do to try to help. There are so many that go thru similar things and never get help. This is something that is passed from generation to generation until somebody does something to stop the cycle. I applaud you for you efforts.

    ReplyDelete