Saturday, January 19, 2013

Early Childhood Organization - cont.

I spoke about Children's Defense Fund last week. During the week, I searched their website in more detail. I found videos that talk about the many programs they sponsor. I particularlly like hearing about their Freedom Schools and about Haley Farm. I discovered that the land once belonged to Alex Haley and is located only minutes from my son's apartment at the University of Tennessee. CDF purchased the farm in 1994 and is used for many of their programs. CDF is financially supported by grants and donations.

This organization speaks out for the rights of children and for equity of life for all children. CDF tackles the current issues in our society and speaks out for action from others. I received this week's newsletter where the president of CDF, Marian Wright Edelman speaks about honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. In summary she states the we can honor Dr. King by:
  •   ending poverty and closing the gap between rich and poor
  •   naming and changing the racial disparities
  •   demanding justice for poor and vunerable children
  •   stopping racial and income segregation in our schools
  •   building a beloved community in America
  •   transforming our education system
  •   ensuring every child's safey and right to live
Many of us are off of work this Monday. Let us as early childhood educators reflect on how we can do our part in honoring Dr. King.    

www.childrensdefense.org
   

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! We all do need to do our part in world and the list are great ways to honor Dr. King. I look forward to reading about the different programs they offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a wonderful organization to explore! Is this an organization that you could find yourself getting affiliated with, speaking in terms of advocating or volunteering for them? I think it is so important for there to be a "voice" for children, especially in terms of those suffering from poverty, racial disparities, and so forth. This organization really seems to target some important issues going throughout our country. As American citizen we are quite fortunate to have the opportunities that we have today, therefore I think it is just as important to continue taking advantage of these opportunities that so many fought for many years ago and really succeed in making social change, through advocacy and efforts such as the Children's Defense Fund! I look forward to learning more about the opportunities this organization has for our younger population!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Shawna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, this is a good organization to explore! I have also read that their primary purpose is to advocate for children, especially those in poverty and those of color. I believe this organization is one that cares about the education of children and help them succeed in life. Hope to be hearing more about this program.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Jo,
    This is one of my favorite websites! I use it as a resource in my work on a weekly basis. I discovered the site in one of our previous courses and I spent hours reading everything on the site and watching all of the videos.
    It made such an impression on me that I drove over to its headquarters and signed up to volunteer!
    I have since volunteered in shelters and at elementary schools associated with CDF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Jo,
    I lookeded at the Childrens Defense Fund and really like all Programs & Campaigns as well as their Policy Priorities. Indeed a great organization! What caught my attention is Protect Children, Not Guns Campaign. People all across America are on edge following recent school tragedies. The only way to get our voice heard is to advocate for those who cannot. They invite us to join them in their campaign to stand up, speak out, and organize with urgency and persistence until the President, members of Congress, Governors and state legislators protect children instead of guns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was very intersting reading your post and finding out that this land was where Alex Haley, the author of Roots, was born. It is also good to know that there is money out there for the Children's Defense fund and that there is help out there for our children. There are so many needs that have to be met and helping families with the issues such as poverty and segregation are huge issues that need special attention. No one should have to worry each day about whether they will be eating.

    ReplyDelete