Thursday, January 31, 2013

Resources on the Web

I have been reading and following the Children's Defense Fund website for some time now. This organization calls on early childhood professionals to take a stand and advocate for various issues involving children. The most recent was signing a letter to Congress about gun control. This resource is relevant to me because I work in government. In this Master's program my concentration is public policy and advocacy. The work I am doing and may have the opportunity to do falls right into the same scope of work that the CDF does.

One issue that made me think was the publication from CDF about black children falling behind white children in terms of poverty, health care, mental health, and early education. I read the statistics and I am not debating the numbers but what I don't understand is that the intervention programs are for all children, black or white, or Hispanic, or Asian, etc. There is insurance for children whose parents do not have insurance. There are programs in schools for children with mental health issues regardless of their race. There are government child care subsidies for parents needing child care or there are head start programs that offer transportation services. I do understand that CDF explains that the percentage of black children are born to poverty, but the services and programs offered according to income or risk factors regardless of race or nationality. This was just something that caught my eye.

The Children's Defense Fund calls for advocacy through your local, state, and national politicians. There are numerous links on the website where someone can write a letter, or call their representative. The website gives information on child poverty, early childhood education, and health care and what the focus of the politicians should be. The website gives information on what is being done and how much more our governments could be doing.

By doing this assignment, I realized how political this website is. It includes information about poverty and inequality and the consequences of issues involving children. It then calls on people to advocate and take action. There are many links that will get someone involved if they choose to. I feel like this website is not just saying they want action, they will actually help you take action yourself. This website makes you feel as though your advocacy for children will make a difference.

5 comments:

  1. Mary Jo, that is all a WOW! I'm not a person that follows political stuff but I am for the children. I have always had a hard time trying to follow the political side of stuff but when it comes to the health, safety, and education of young children Im all ears to hear what others have to say. Awesome on being able to follow and read about the political aspect of the site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have realized in my profession, most families are unaware of the resources and services that are available to aide them to improve their situation in poverty. It is unfortunately that the help is out there; however, families not have have access to the resources available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MaryJo, I enjoy reading about the Children Defense Fund and the available resources. We want to end poverty, but first we need to educate children; not only children, but also their parents. I know it's time to call on people to advocate and take action, because everybody desires some help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too visit the CDF website. Advocating at te State House level has always been difficult for me. That is the side of advocacy that I stay away from. No matter how knowledgable I may be, I would rather leave that up to someone who has a passion for it and is effective at it. You mentioned some of the programs that seem easy to access for many families. I agree! I dont understand those who have the access yet don't use it. Personally, I am aware of a mother who had Medicaid, yet did not take any of her children to the dentist or make yearly visits for physicals. Any excuse one may want to offer as a possible reason why she didn't, DOES NOT EXIST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your post and knowing that this organization goes above and beyond to advocate for children. The information on advocating for gun control means it is thinking about our children in all areas. We want our schools to be safe from violent behavior which includes gangs and guns.

    ReplyDelete