Saturday, January 12, 2013

International contacts

When given this assignment, I was having trouble making contacts as was many of my colleagues. I decided to do what I love doing on my computer, searching. I googled "international early childhood organizations. I looked at a few that mentioned no one's name or email. Then I found the International Society on Early Intervention. On the website there was a member directory with in my opinion must be thousands of names of early childhood professionals. They were categorized by countries and their area of expertise. Included with their name was their current profession and their email. I emailed about ten of them and received one response immediately.  I went to the class forum to give my colleagues this information hoping that this may help them. I heard nothing else for the rest of the week.  I had given up hope when first thing this morning I received an overwhelming response from someone in South Africa. I also contacted the Director of the child care resource and referral agency that I collaborate with on the job. She told me she had a friend that has been to Reggio Emilia Italy five times in the past few years to work with early childhood children and that although she does not live in Italy, she could be a resource for information.

Ayele from Ethiopia was the first to respond to my email. She gave me names of two books about children of Ethiopia that I may want to review.

Mary-Jane is the lady that has visited and worked in Reggio Emilia Italy that I can use as a resource for that country.

Margaret was the response I received this morning in which she was overwhelming enthusiastic about helping me. She used the words, "honored and delighted". She even invited me to go to South Africa and would help me arrange the trip. She gave me her phone number in S. Africa for me to call in the evenings.

I was not optimistic about this assignment in the beginning but my last response I received has made me so excited about learning about the children in these countries.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary Jo!
    As usual, your blog is always among my favorites. Thank you for sharing the information about the International Society on Early Intervention. I plan on checking it out today.
    The contact in South Africa sounds exciting. I would love to learn more about South Africa.
    This assignment was a little intimidating, but I always seem to appreciate having pushed myself a little past my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete