Friday, October 11, 2013

Adjourning

I have belonged to many groups where our work had ended and we had to say goodbye. I think the hardest to say goodbye to was not on a professional level but on a more informal level. My daughter took dancing lessons at a local dancing school since she was 4 years old. In April she graduated from her dancing school at the age of 18. This dancing school was very involved as they took part in parades, competitions, and an elaborate recital at the end of each school year. For many of you, you may be thinking of the TV show Dance Moms. Well I can assure you it was nothing like that. The school was a very family friendly place where all girls were treasured. We the parents all grew together over the past 14 years. We shared stories as we waited in the waiting room, we traveled together to parades, and we cheered and cried together at competitions. Although we did not associate with each other on a social level, we had such a bond through our daughters and through our passion for making our girls happy. I remember an instance when one of the girls lost her feather headpiece for a dance. All the moms took one feather from their daughters' headpieces and was able to make a new headpiece for the girl. When our girls graduated we all hugged and cried. We watched our daughters grow from babies through their awkward stages and now into beautiful young women. We knew that each girl would be moving in a different direction and as a result we would be moving with them. We all looked at each other and agreed, "What a great ride" I miss those moments with those ladies but I am also glad that I had the experience.

For this master's program at Walden University, I will be saying goodbye to groups of women twice. I followed the same group of colleagues for the first five courses and then took a short break for eight weeks. I was very sad to leave those women because I was accustomed to the way they wrote their discussions and how they responded. However it did not take long once I started again in September to make new friends. I have learned so much from all my colleagues and although we may not be able to speak to each other personally, I know we have had the same challenges and struggles. We have gotten to know so much about each person. I know I have shared stories with my colleagues that no one else knows. In our courses, mutual respect and trust was present. We trusted that we would not be judged by our challenges in life but we would be given encouragement and hope. I will miss our special kind of collaboration.

6 comments:

  1. Mary Jo,

    Your post made me think of some of the more social groups that I have been part of over the years. These groups can be more difficult to leave than professional groups. The relationships and bonds created in the informal/social groups can be more meaningful and more long-term than professional groups. Like you, I also started this Master’s program but then had to quit for a while. While it was difficult to leave the group I started with, it has been very easy to feel comfortable with this new group. Before this class, I really had not given much thought to the adjourning stage of team building but now have a better understanding of the importance of this phase.

    Geralyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    Thank you for such great posting. Every time I finished a course, it put me in mind of school, because I missed from communicating with my colleagues so much. Yes, we have share many stories both good and bad, but we trusted each other the reason we was able to talk about it. Also, there were many discussions and responds from colleagues that helped me to better understand the important of communication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy your post because it bring out lot of characters
    because it's so hard to say good-bye. I ask the parents please don't say good-bye to the children. Because good-bye means I am not going to see you no more. So I ask them to say see you later and they do. Because good-bye is a hard saying so I didn't like adjourning. At the end of the show it's time to go our separate ways. I wish we all can be in this large house stay forever, I really do. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary Jo,

    Saying farewell to a course you have enjoyed is not easy because of the individuals in it. I think the word adjourning is one I am not going enjoy hearing anymore. Within this course we all learned that communication is not as easy as we thought it would be. I am always so proud to see so, many of,who have chosen teaching in the early childhood field. I agree we learned a lot about respect and commitment. That's how I know you will succeed in the course you are on.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Jo,
    I have also changed groups as I took some time off from classes. I do hope that we can keep in contact as it has been great to get to know someone who works in a similar job in a different state. I never look forward to saying goodbye but I do look forward to celebrating the completion of our classes and the receipt of our degrees!

    ReplyDelete