Friday, October 4, 2013

Week 5 Conflict Resolution

I am not personally having a conflict with anyone but I am a bystander to some conflicting issues with my job. Child care centers, public preschools, and Head Start centers in my town are called by the state to form a collaboration and become a unified early childhood network. When I attend these meetings, I can hear judgments being made toward certain programs, while there are others that are evaluating the validity of some one's comments. I mentioned this unprofessionalism to the Child Care Resource & Referral Agency who is sponsoring this collaboration. I talked about empathetic listening and effective communication and they said they wanted me at the next meeting to help with this. They said they were very stressed by these professionals' behaviors but did not know what to do.

Although this class is an introduction to communication and collaboration, I feel confident that I can help because there is absolutely no effective communication taking place. People are blaming and emotions are running high. I may not have the knowledge or skills to resolve their issues but I can try to get these programs communicating better than they are now.

At the meeting next week with the leaders of these programs, I may use the strategies based on the Non Violent Communication Model.

1. Honestly Expressing - I think what causes the conflict among these groups is what is NOT said as opposed to what is said. There is a saying about having "the elephant in the room". That idea or feeling that is weighing in on some one's mind but they won't talk about it. When communicating it comes out as sarcastic comments or personal attacks. I am going to try to get everyone to say what bothers them about each group. According to NVC, this would not be a blame game but simply a time to express how you are feeling.

2. Empathetic Listening - I will attempt to talk to these groups of professionals about listening without judging and that they need to rid their minds of past biases. They need to start listening from a new perspective. This collaboration is a new experience and we need to come together so that the children in our district will benefit. Also if families see that these groups are divided, we will never unify as a community. As a result, our district's early childhood education will fall behind others in the state.

I am usually very withdrawn especially in groups. That was clarified on my communication anxiety assessment last week. However, at the last meeting when I saw how grown, educated professionals conducted themselves, I knew that I could do better. At least I can try. I may not have enough knowledge yet but at least I can try to get them to do the basics of respectful communication.

Has anyone else been in this situation? I welcome any suggestions or comments. The meeting is next Friday.

6 comments:

  1. Mary Jo,

    Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. You are very brave to take on helping with facilitate this meeting. I have found that in this type of situation, having the group decide on the ground rules that will guide the meeting is a great place to start. People are much more likely to act in a civil manner if they have had input into this process. Letting everyone know upfront that they will all have a chance to be heard is also helpful. This ensures that not just the loudest voice or biggest organizations are heard. Billikopf offers some information that you might find helpful. He describes several foes that create contention. The first is that we want to explain our side first, the second is ineffective listening, the third is fear and the fourth is the assumption that one has to lose of the other is going to win (Billikopf, 2009, p. 3). I hope some of this is helpful. I think it is wonderful that your community is working towards a unified early childhood network. This type of collaboration results in improved outcomes for children and families. I would love to learn more about this and about your experience at the meeting.

    Good Luck!
    Geralyn

    Reference
    Billikopf, G. (2009). Mediation and conflict resolution. (2nd Edition) University of California. Retrieved from http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/ucce50/ag-labor/7labor/13.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geralyn
      Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me so much information. I will look into this source.
      Mary Jo

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have led collaborative meetings with various child care practitioners and with child care, Head Start, Early Intervention and school districts, but have not experienced this kind of unprofessionalism. For the most part everyone was cooperative with each other even though they may have disagreed. I think it is good to keep in mind that they don't all have to agree but they do need to treat each other with respect. Establishing a set of "ground rules" will hopefully help you. Geralyn provided a nice resource...I will have to look that one up too. I liked the quote about conflict from Albert Einstein- "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." It sounds like the members of your group need to understand the perspectives others in the group. That will only happen through open and honest communication. Good luck in your meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary Jo,

    I could have not done the concept on empathic listening any better. I believe you handled this situation in the best way possible. By initiating collective dialog, you gave each a chance to voice their opinion without being judged. Stay on the same path and everything will fall into place. Please, let me know what happens. Good job

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a big thing and controlled and handled the situation. In the professional way. Hearing people out not being just one-sided, very good. Amazing Job!

    ReplyDelete